(ATTORNEYS: PLEASE CALL FOR A DETAILED "CURRICULUM VITAE")
Our HOME page has additional information on 3rd party safety AUDITS, PLAYGROUND SAFETY LABELS, expert witness services, etc.
SCOTT BURTON is a Certified Playground Safety Inspector by the NRPA/NPSI, and is also S.A.F.E. Certified by the National Program for Playground Safety.
He has instructed various playground and recreation safety courses from beginner to advanced to inspectors,
Child Care Licensing Bureaus, Parks & Recreation Depts., corporate managers, etc.
He has been
a trained instructor for the CPSI courses for the NPSI. He has been in this industry since 1981. He has designed, manufactured and installed thousands of different
types of equipment and areas. He has performed safety audits at THOUSANDS of playground sites (each site having at least one playground, some up to 6 playgrounds at one
site) in and out of the USA, offering inexpensive modification recommendations. He has accepted over 440 cases as an expert witness to date (and turned down over 430 cases, mostly due to lack of basis or being on the other side). He has been honored with the 2008 "Playground Safety Advocate of the Year" award by the National
Program for Playground Safety. As prior owner of Florida's largest (and the Southeast's second largest) recreation equipment manufacturing company for nearly 12 years,
his duties included planning, design, writing specifications, purchasing, manufacturing & installation supervision, surfacing specifications, and sales networking worldwide.
His company designed, manufactured and installed the following;
This hands-on experience helps tremendously as an expert witness, auditor, inspector, consultant, and designer. Mr. Burton sold the company on March 5, 1993 to devote more time to SAFETY PLAY, INC.®, which he founded in 1988.
- Playground Equipment; All types, made out of wood, steel, aluminum, and plastic
- Soccer, Football, and Basketball Goals, Volleyball and Tetherball Standards, Baseball Backstops.
- Exercise and Fitness Equipment (as outdoor Running Courses and Centers)
- Grills, Picnic Tables, Park Benches, Bleachers
- Flagpoles, Litter Receptacle Holders, Bicycle Racks
- is a National CERTIFIED PLAYGROUND SAFETY INSPECTOR (C.P.S.I.) since 1992 (one of the first!)
- is "S.A.F.E." CERTIFIED by the National Program for Playground Safety.
- has been a trained instructor for the NRPA and NPSI CPSI Courses.
- is on the National Safe Kids Subcommittee on Playground & Trampoline Safety.
- is knowledgeable on the Standards for various types of WARNING SIGNS, and has created recreational warning (and instructional) signs and labels
used by entities nationwide.
- created and designed an Inspection Tool Kit, sold worldwide through Safety Play, Inc.® and international distributors.
- has qualified for and become INSURED to perform the services offered by SAFETY PLAY, INC.® ($1M in coverage on E&O and General Liability,
with higher limits available). Specify ERRORS and OMISSIONS, PROFESSIONAL and GENERAL LIABILITY coverages for your consultant.
- has been accepted in courts as an expert witness in the various fields of recreation, and has testified for both
plaintiff and defense since 1988.
- is an active and attending voting member of numerous ASTM Main and Sub-committees, creating the National playground, recreation, surfacing, trampoline, and sports safety Standards.
- has worked in conjunction with the CPSC to create the revisions of the playground safety guidelines.
- has extensive knowledge on "failure to warn", with regards to proper signage and labeling. This includes
letter heights, coloring, placement, legibility, graphics, etc. He has created warning (and instructional) signs and
labels for playground, sports, trampoline, and recreational uses.
- offers standard and advanced courses in playground and recreation safety through Safety Play, Inc.®
- is the AUTHOR of numerous articles on safety, and has been interviewed by the media regarding playground safety. Please call for a list.
- has written the Playground Safety Act for the State of Florida to adopt ASTM & CPSC into law.
- has conducted countless safety seminars and courses.
- has written specifications for Schools, Parks, Architects, etc., worldwide.
- has a business degree (A.A.) from USF.
- was Certified by the National Safety Council & NRPA "Park and Recreation Safety School" (in 1992, which became the NPSI).
- and Safety Play, Inc.® comply with the ANSI Z-34.1 standard for third party certified inspections.
- Masonic Lodge #139 (Master Mason).
- Mr. Burton has been an active and attending voting member of the
American Society for Testing and Materials (ASTM) since 1988. He has been instrumental in writing the standards for the subcommittees listed below;
- Public Use Playgrounds (F15.29) - (he serves as interim secretary)
- Home Use Playgrounds (F15.09)
- Soft Contained Playground Equipment (F15.36)
- Play Equipment for Children Under Two (F15.44)
- Aquatic Play Equipment (F15 & F24)
- Playground Surfacing (F08.63)
- Playground & Sports Fencing (F14 main, and subcommittees F14.10, .15, .30, .35 and .40)
- Soccer Goal Safety (F15.43)
- Amusement Rides (F24 and all of the subcommittees. NOTE; no longer attending "all" subcommittees.)
- Constant Air Inflatable Play Devices for Home Use (F15.61)
- Sports Equipment and Facilities (F08), including;
- Trampolines (F08.17)
- Residential Basketball Equipment (F08.25)
- Baseball & Softball Equipment & Facilities (F08.26)
- Playing Surfaces (F08.52)
- Natural and Artificial Turf Surfaces (F08.65)
- Sports Facilities (F08.66)
- International Playground Association (IPA)
- International Playground Equipment Manufacturer's Association (IPEMA) as an associate (consultant) member
- American Society of Safety Engineers (ASSE)
- National Recreation and Parks Association (NRPA)
- National Association for the Education of Young Children (NAEYC)
- is a member of National Safe Kids Coalition (playground & trampoline subcommittees)
IMPORTANT NOTE; SAFETY PLAY, INC.® does not sell playground, sports or recreational equipment, surfacing, or even
parts, so the work we perform for you remains free from bias or conflict of interest, and is INSURED. We DO, however, draw upon
many years of PAST manufacturing and consulting experience to offer you the best specific modification recommendations! In addition,
we do NOT make repairs to your equipment, not so much as a nut or a bolt. This way, we will not profit from it since it is a conflict of
interest and makes it a bias service, so beware of the companies that perform audits yet still offer these products and services. "Local"
companies may not provide you with the more important factors of having the expertise and experience of having WRITTEN the rules that
ALL STATES must adhere to, as well as having other important qualifications. See the "QUALIFICATIONS" page and be your own judge!
We have performed services and made sales in the U.S.A. and other countries (Sweden, Canada, China, Australia, Singapore, Guatemala, Cayman Islands, Jamaica, British Virgin Islands, Taiwan, Japan, England, New Zealand, Africa, Korea, etc.). So don't be concerned about us not being in your "neighborhood" since we typically combine jobs with other clients in your area, which combines costs and in turn saves you money! Remember, we also offer FREE AIRFARE (favorable restrictions apply)!
In the USA, we have performed services and sales in the following states; Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, California, Colorado, Connecticut, Delaware, (also District of Columbia),
Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska,
Nevada, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, South Carolina, South Dakota,
Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, Washington, West Virginia, Wisconsin, Wyoming.
SAFETY PLAY, INC.® COMPLIES WITH ANSI Z34.1 STANDARD FOR THIRD PARTY INSPECTIONS!
Please call or e-mail for a proposal for your specific needs.
International customers are always welcome! Please inquire about foreign travel and rates.
Now accepting these major CREDIT CARDS!
or, call our
TOLL-FREE Nationwide sales line: 1-888-878-0244 for a quote on products or services.
Serving clients in the USA and abroad!
SAFETY PLAY, INC.®
10460 Roosevelt Blvd., #295
St. Petersburg, FL. 33716
7095 Hollywood Blvd., #1308
Los Angeles, CA. 90028
TOLL-FREE Nationwide sales line: 1-888-878-0244
Additional Phone or Fax: (727)-522-0061
E-mail us at:
International customers are always welcome!
COPYRIGHT 2010. ALL RIGHTS RESERVED.
Updated on 7/7/2014